Today I went to a friend’s house and was so jealous of how clutter free she keeps her home. We both have two small children, so her house definitely gave me some ideas to work on, specifically how to organize and declutter bookshelves. She has a bookshelf in the family room with toys stacked on each shelf. Currently, I have two bookshelves in the living room and one in the play room and they are all a total disaster! See my pictures above. I purchased my bookshelves from Ikea a few years ago. They kind of look like this without books.
Browsing Pinterest and other images online gave me some more ideas. I think the first goal is to figure out what books I want to keep and what items I want to give away or sell. There are tons of books that have been sitting on those shelves for years. I feel like it is wasted space and could be used in a more productive way. We also have a toy bookshelf in the play room that is also a disaster. However, we do have storage baskets like these to make it less cluttered. Scroll below to see tips to declutter and organize bookshelves in an appealing manner.
Here are some ideas I found on Pinterest.
If you would like to join me in decluttering bookshelves, here is what I plan to do.
To declutter bookshelves:
- Separate books into sell, donate, and trash pile. Oh, and a keep pile.
- Clean and dust the bookshelves.
- Try to compile the books to leave enough room for storage baskets to fill with toys.
- Put larger books together standing vertically.
- Places big books near the bottom shelves for better appearance.
- Put smaller books near the top of the bookshelf. Smaller books can be stacked or stand vertically.
- Don’t put storage baskets and books on the same shelf (unless the books are inside the basket). Place decorative items next to storage basket.
Do you have any decluttering bookshelf ideas?