The best diaper bag is the one that is stocked. Here is a diaper bag essentials checklist for your baby and preschool aged child.
It is so important to check your diaper bag before you leave the house. I am also a strong advocate of parents carrying bags for preschool aged children. If you don’t, you could be in the position I was in a couple of weeks ago! I always stock my diaper bag with essentials for my 2 year old AND 4 year old. If you don’t like “diaper bags”, you could just buy a fashionable bag and use it as a diaper bag like these bags on Amazon. You could also have a bag just for the car and one you carry around.
Here’s a story to think about. Unfortunately, my 4 year old vomited everywhere at my in-laws house, which included messing up his outfit. We gave him a bath so he would be clean. Well, when we opened the diaper bag, I realized I had nothing in the bag for him. I always do! Except the time I needed it to be stocked!! I realize kids and adults could have accidents like this at any time, but it is more common for the little kids to have accidents.
So here are a list of essentials I recommend for a diaper bag:
Preschool Aged Child
- One pair of socks.
- Underwear (or several pull ups if not potty trained).
- One shirt appropriate for the weather.
- Shorts or Pants (I generally put pants in the diaper bag because it is safer around here….you never know what the weather will be).
- Medicine your child might need such as pain reliever.
- IF your child has a habit of spontaneously spending the night at grandma’s house, then a pair of pajamas might be useful.
- Snacks. You never know when you will be stuck in traffic for a loonnnggg time.
- Baby wipes. I will be using wipes forever. They always come in handy!
- Sippy cup if needed.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Sunblock if needed.
- Several diapers.
- Baby wipes.
- Diaper rash cream/baby powder if needed.
- Sunblock if needed or age appropriate.
- Baby food or snacks.
- Baby bottle or formula if needed.
- Diaper sacks if you find they useful.
- Blanket if needed.
- Hand sanitizer (for you).
- Changing pad.
- Extra blouse for you incase baby spits up.
- Water bottles.
- Tissues. (I ALWAYS store extra napkins from fast food joints in the glove compartment).
- Hand sanitizer.