Need some baby shower gift ideas? I have three kids, and I’ve had a baby shower for each baby, so I thought today I would write about the things that I feel are useful. Many people have baby showers for their second, third (or more) baby. I see nothing wrong with it because it’s basically a celebration for the mom and baby. Each baby is special.
Here is my top 10 baby shower gift idea list!
All items I’ve used!
1. The number one baby shower gift idea I recommend are diapers and/or wipes. For my third baby, my family threw a diaper and wipes baby shower. It was great! I did not have to buy diapers or wipes for about five or six months. Some mamas use cloth diapers. They are pricey to start with, but I’m sure a new mom would appreciate any help buying those.
Different size diapers are very helpful for a new mom.
2. My second favorite baby shower gift idea are restaurant gift cards. You are probably thinking, “what??”. I can’t tell you how much money we spent on food after each baby was born! I tried the freezer cooking with my second child and all the food spoiled. Not everyone has family or friends that will bring them food after the baby is born. Even if some food is brought to the new parents, eventually those people will go back to their day to day lives, and the parents are still recovering from sleep and the birth! I think food is an excellent choice for a gift.
Did you know you can send an Amazon Gift Card? This is great for a mom who didn’t get something that she needs. You can also grab a Babies R Us or Target gift card for her.
3. Some babies don’t like being swaddled in the swaddle blankets. Although it is a good idea to have swaddle blankets on hand, I think sleep sacks get more use.
4. Although parents love to snuggle with their new baby, sometimes mama has got to put the baby down to do something! A new parent should definitely have a bouncer or baby swing. It took THREE babies before some company would make a swing that plugs in the wall instead of using batteries! If you have the money, I recommend a baby swing that use an A/C adapter.
5. Regardless if the mom is breastfeeding or using bottles and regardless of the mom’s size, I HIGHLY recommend a boppy pillow. The purpose of the Boppy pillow is to give support during feedings. The reason I bring up size is because I was concerned as a first time mom that the Boppy wouldn’t fit. If you are a size 2 or a size 24, you will find a way for it to work. In fact, I have 3 of them.
6. This nose sucker is something I bet you didn’t think of or probably haven’t seen it before. It took THREE babies before I knew this thing existed.
Other items I recommend that I’ve found useful:
7. The baby is going to grow quickly and he will want to be entertained. I have a variety of baby toys in baskets, including teething toys, that he can play with. Trust me, the time comes quick and mom will want some toys!
8. A low priced item idea is a dishwasher basket and bottle brush. These are some of those items that a mom probably thinks she won’t need, especially if she is nursing. (Well, in all likelihood, the child will use a sippy cup one day, and these baskets are great for storing valves when washing in the dishwasher). I have exclusively breastfed two of my children and have rarely pumped this time around. However, I still needed the bottle brush for when someone babysits my child.
9. Infant Tylenol or Infant Motrin is a costly item that adds up, especially if mom chooses to give baby this when he is teething.
10. A white noise machine is something I bet mom didn’t put on her baby registry/baby shower gift idea list.
And some more…
11. My last highly recommended baby shower gift item is clothing in larger sizes than newborn or 0-3 months. At many baby showers every year, women receive tons of 0-3 month clothing. In fact, so much they don’t know what to do with it! I strongly recommend buying something in the older sizes like 3-6 months and 6-9 months. Chances are, the new mom or grandparents purchased a lot of the 0-3 month clothes already.